This page includes information about:
- Anxiety management program for children aged 9-12 years (6 session program)
- ASD Learning Modules for parents (50 minute sessions)
- The 'Autism Crash Course' for parents (full-day course)
Please scroll down to read more.
Anxiety Intervention Program for Children
Anxiety Intervention Program for Children with Asperger Syndrome Aged 9-12 years.
The 6-week program ‘Exploring Feelings’ was developed by Professor Tony Attwood, acclaimed psychologist in the area of Autism Spectrum Disorders. Research showed an increase in knowledge of appropriate strategies to manage anxiety following completion of the program.
The program includes:
• Initial parent session to discuss concerns and brief parents about the program content
• Six 1:1 sessions with the child
• Program workbook
The program is run by a psychologist with 10+ years experience working with children with ASD. Kirsty Kerr has assisted around 50 children to complete the program following three years instructing groups of children with this format. Julia Seedsman also has experience in both a group and individual format facilitating this program.
Program cost: $980. Medicare rebates half the cost with a GP Mental Health Care Plan.
For further information, or to book a program, phone (03) 9808 3917.
PARENT EDUCATION AND SKILLS PROGRAMS
1. ASD Learning Modules for Parents
When parents first receive a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder, they often begin a desperate search for answers. There is so much to learn, and so many differing theories and opinions. Several parenting programs exist, however some parents find it difficult to commit to a multi-session group program over time. The ASD Learning Modules have been developed to provide ASD specific parenting information at each parents' own pace. Parents are able to complete one, some or all of the session topics.
The 1:1 sessions are facilitated by psychologist, Kirsty Kerr, who has 14 years experience in the field of Autism Spectrum Disorder. Kirsty is not affiliated with any specific therapeutic modality, and therefore the information is designed to be impartial.The sessions are based on evidenced-based research and best practice, not personal opinion.
The Learning Modules are:
• Available Services and Supports
• Evidence-Based Interventions for ASD
• Funding Sources for Therapies
• Teaching the Child New Skills
• Eating Difficulties
• Toilet Training
• Anxiety Management for the Child
• Addressing Sleeping Difficulties
• Helping daily routines run more smoothly
• Telling the Child their Diagnosis
• Considerations for Siblings
Outside the Square Psychology is registered with FaHCSIA, Medicare and Private Health Funds.
Each session costs $160.
For further information, or to book a session, phone (03) 9808 3917.
2. The Autism 'Crash Course' for Parents
Full day introductory course, covering:
- Understanding ASD
- Services and entitlements
- Information about evidence-based treatments for ASD
- Strategies for home routines
- Caring for the whole family
Cost: $320.00 per person (includes morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and training notes)
Run when there are four participants. click here for example flier