Services For Parents
‘Equipping you with the knowledge and skills to make a difference to your child’s development’
Children with ASD, Developmental Delay or Intellectual Disability throw up challenges often not encountered in typical parenting. Parents and carers of such children must think outside the square and use different techniques to communicate with, teach and discipline their children.
Outside the Square Psychology can assist parents and carers in the following ways:
• Parent education. Helping to understand the child’s diagnosis, drawing on personal accounts from individuals with ASD, and current research. Information about how to explain your child’s diagnosis to them, to their siblings, to family, friends and people working with the child. To view our upcoming events click here
• Counselling. Coming to terms with the diagnosis, impact on other family relationships, sibling issues
• Entitlements. Increasing awareness of appropriate services, supports and entitlements
• Supporting documentation for funding applications. Assistance with completing applications such as the ‘Treating Health Professionals’ report for Centrelink’s Carer Allowance
• Behaviour Management Assistance to build a child’s skills, by decreasing
undesirable behaviour, and increasing capabilities. For a full list of intervention techniques which may be used, click here
• Referral (eg. for medication or other allied health interventions)
Many of our services attract Medicare and Private Health Rebates.
For appointments, phone (03) 9808 3917.